Treatment for Swallowing Problems in Wesley Chapel, FL
If you frequently have problems swallowing (dysphagia), an issue with your esophagus is most likely to blame. A healthy esophagus contracts to easily move food and liquids down your throat and into the stomach. This process should happen naturally and without much effort on your part. Sometimes, a problem can develop that makes swallowing much more difficult, such as:
- An esophageal stricture – A narrowing in the esophagus that is often associated with GERD.
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck – Swollen lymph nodes can press against the esophagus.
- An esophageal ring – A small section of the esophagus narrows.
- A diffuse spasm – Esophageal muscles contract in an unpredictable way.
- Achalasia – A muscle in the lower esophagus does not relax enough to allow food to pass.
Some other possible causes of swallowing problems include neurological degeneration related to stroke, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
Specialized swallowing evaluation and treatment
At Scotch Institute of Ear Nose & Throat in Wesley Chapel and Trinity, Florida, we provide specialized swallowing evaluation and advanced treatment for various swallow problems. Our team is led by Dr. Brett Scotch, a renowned surgeon who is board certified in otolaryngology, or the branch of medicine that focuses on disorders of the ears, nose, and throat. Dr. Scotch, in collaboration with Dr. Janet Seper, Dr. Hope Bueller, and other specially trained professionals, delivers outstanding care and personalized service to patients with a wide array of swallow problems.
To schedule a swallowing evaluation at Scotch Institute of Ear Nose & Throat in Wesley Chapel or Trinity, contact us today or request an appointment online. Our professionals will be happy to answer any questions you may have.